Seven Roads Junction, PO Box 25, Kodaikanal 624 101, Tamil Nadu, India tel: (91) 4542 247 500 fax: (91) 4542 241 109 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
KIS prepares students for admission to colleges and universities throughout the world through two academically challenging programs: KIS Diploma and the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma.
- KIS Diploma is accredited by the Middle States Association of Schools and Colleges, Philadelphia and recognized by the Association of Indian Universities, New Delhi, as equivalent to the Indian "+2" secondary certification. Requirements for receiving the KIS Diploma are defined in terms of credits, which apply to subjects in grades 9 to 12. All graduating year 12 students receive the KIS Diploma.
- KIS also offers the International Baccalaureate Diploma program for grades 11 and 12. As the first school in India and the second in Asia to offer the IB Diploma, KIS now has an outstanding 30+ year track record of world ranking academic results.
Kodaikanal International School offers a broad based combination of American and international curriculum to its students.
Apart from the core subjects, students are expected to complete courses in Religious Education, Health, Fine and Practical Arts, Computer Education and Community Service requirements to be eligible for the US accredited KIS Diploma.
Requirements for receiving KIS Diploma are defined in terms of credits, which apply to subjects of grades 9 to 12 only. Each course is assigned either 5 or 2.5 credits per semester depending upon class hours per cycle. Students are awarded these credits upon successful completion of required course work. Subjects allocated five or six periods in a six-day cycle receive 5 credits for a semester and 10 credits for a full year. (10 credits = 1 Carnegie Unit) For example 40 credits required in English means students must take 8 semesters of English over a 4 year period earning 5 credits per semester.
KIS credit requirements are given in the table below and further information is available in KIS Curriculum Guides. Overall 235 credits (plus physical education credits and community service hours) are required for KIS Graduation and receipt of KIS Diploma (Note: many credits are subject specific within the total of 235).
Additionally, students are required to take Physical Education and participate in the Community and Service (C&S) / Social Experience Program (SoEx) to receive the KIS Diploma. KIS Second Languages are French, German, Hindi, Spanish, Tamil and Dzongkha. Instruction in other languages can be arranged. English as a Second Language is offered to students who require this supplemental instruction.
Minimum credit requirements for KIS Diploma are as follows:
|Fine & Practical Arts||10|
Additionally, students are required to take Physical Education (PE) at KIS. A social awareness and community service component (Social Experience 'SoEx') is also a KIS Diploma requirement for all students.
International Baccalaureate (IB):
In addition to the KIS Diploma, students may earn the IB Diploma by passing at least 6 examinations in prescribed subject areas: 3 must be at a Higher Level and 3 at a Standard Level. IB examination papers are set by international experts and marked externally. Students must also complete:
- 100 hours of course instruction in Theory of Knowledge (TOK)
- An extended essay of 4000-5000 words involving independent research in an IB subject
- An approved program of community service, creative activities and extra-curricular activity (CAS)