Seven Roads Junction, PO Box 25, Kodaikanal 624 101, Tamil Nadu, India tel: (91) 4542 247 500 fax: (91) 4542 241 109 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The IB MYP is offered in Grades 6-10. The MYP seeks to help students make connections between disciplines and to give them a global perspective, and encourages them to participate actively in their communities. The MYP uses inquiry based learning and guiding questions to help students focus their thinking and learning.
The key components of the MYP program are:
- Students are expected to take responsibility for their own learning, using skills such as time management, keeping a calendar of assignments, test-taking strategies, self-assessment, etc.
- All subjects are taught through five "Areas of Interaction," which assist students in making connections between curricular subjects and the real world.
- Students complete a 20 hours of community service requirement each year.
- A minimum of 50 hours per year is required in each of the 8 subject groups. They are: Mathematics, Science, Humanities (Social Studies), Language A (English), Language B (student's choice of a foreign language), Arts, Physical Education, and Technology). In addition, a personal project must be completed in grade ten.
International awareness is emphasized through all the different subjects.
- Students' work on selected assignments is assessed using MYP criteria prescribed by the IBO.
In keeping with KIS mission statement and KIS Middle School philosophy that aims to provide a broad-based educational program for the holistic development of transitional adolescents, Middle School offers:
- A secure, stable environment with flexibility for individual growth during this transitional period in student life
- Structured and clear guidelines within which students can find their "voices" and learn to express and exercise freedom responsibly
- Academically challenging student-centered instruction, imparted by a team of caring, committed teachers, enriched and extended to prepare students for high school, college and later life
- Attention to individual student needs, balanced with an emphasis on the value of challenge and fostering of self-reliance as students grow and mature
- Broad experience of education to equip students to live in a global society, at the same time grounded firmly in traditional values of enquiry, hard work, integrity, respect and reverence