Seven Roads Junction, PO Box 25, Kodaikanal 624 101, Tamil Nadu, India tel: (91) 4542 247 500 fax: (91) 4542 241 109 email: email@example.com
Kodaikanal International School has endeavored to encourage students who display a strong academic performance and achievement coupled with a commitment to learning.
For the first 75 years of KIS's existence, tuition fees were provided for from individual foreign churches, mission boards, diplomatic agencies, the UN and organizations. Families paying their own fees were a rarity. In the 1970's the School's demographics changed with an increasing number of families paying their own fees.
As these changes became apparent, the school found it necessary to continue to attract deserving students while maintaining the demographic diversity which makes KIS unique. The student would need to exhibit the values we look for which include an outstanding character the ability and willingness to contribute to public service, artistic and / or athletic life of the school, leadership, participation in volunteer, community, school-related activities and critical thinking ability.
Our commitment has been to offer a holistic education to students across the world who are unable to afford such an education. The scholarship we would like to offer would address the issue of unmet financial need which includes limited family income or funds not sufficient to cover education related expenses.
KIS has launched the following scholarship programs:
Russell De Valois Scholarship:
Russell De Valois graduated from KIS in 1943 and he went on to earn his PhD in Physiological Psychology from the University of Michigan. He joined the faculty at Indiana University in Bloomington where his work on color vision became widely known. He was a brilliant scientist who taught at the University of California in Berkeley and conducted pioneering research on vision and how spatial information is analyzed by the brain.
Russell died 20 September 2003 as a result of a car accident that occurred during his return to California from the 60th anniversary reunion of his KIS graduation.
KIS proudly launched the Russell De Valois Scholarship through an endowment fund established by Russells's High School classmates (KIS Class of 1943). The scholarship program is aimed to attract a student who is likely to excel academically and one who can contribute to public service, artistic or athletic life of the school. Applicant must be an Indian citizen with eligibility independent of gender and religion. The applicant must show a will to succeed, critical thinking ability, leadership skills and perseverance in the face of challenges.
The scholarship is offered once in every four years to a student entering grade 9 for the duration of their study at KIS to graduation at the end of grade 12.
The scholarship will be offered for the next intake in July 2014
Excellence in Education Scholarship:
Kodaikanal International School (KIS) is proud to launch an Excellence in Education Scholarship. The KIS Excellence in Education Scholarship is launched for the school year commencing July 2011. The scholarship is offered to students entering grade 9 for the duration of their study to graduation at the end of grade 12.
Students from across the world (globally) are encouraged to apply for the scholarship.
The guiding criteria for the selection of the scholarship to be awarded to the most deserving candidate (but not limited to):
- Academic ability and high achievement:
- Strong academic performance and strong academic record
- Have received academic awards and honors
- GPA above 3.7 or 'A' grades or standardized test scores of 90 percent and above
- A strong commitment to learning, achieving and excel academically
- The applicant must provide a confidential letter of recommendation from a teacher
- The applicant must have an outstanding character and should contribute to public service, artistic and / or athletic life of the school
- Applicants must show a will to succeed, determination and perseverance in the face of challenges; leadership, participation in volunteer, community, school-related activities and critical thinking ability
- The scholarship will be awarded based on merit
The amount awarded is for full KIS tuition and boarding charges at the rate charged by KIS for up to four years. This includes additional expenses to a maximum of Rs 50,000 and excludes travel to and from KIS and pocket money.
The continuation of the scholarship will be contingent on the performance of the candidate upon annual review:
- A student may lose his / her scholarship for the next academic year if the stated requirements are not met and maintained. A warning letter will be sent to parents at the end of the first semester for students who have fallen below the academic level required or who are not contributing positively to the school program. Should a student lose his / her scholarship, reconsideration may be requested after one semester if he / she again meets the requirements
- Serious breaches of discipline will result in immediate termination of financial aid for the remainder of the academic year.
On receipt of applications, the KIS Scholarship Admission Committee will evaluate all applications and short-list deserving candidates. The short-listed candidates will be invited to KIS for interviews and to be examined / assessed of their academic capabilities.
The scholarship will be offered for the next intake in July 2015