Seven Roads Junction, PO Box 25, Kodaikanal 624 101, Tamil Nadu, India tel: (91) 4542 247 500 fax: (91) 4542 241 109 email: email@example.com
Introduction to KIS
KIS Mission Statement: Kodaikanal International School is an autonomous residential school with a broad college-oriented curriculum, serving young people from a wide diversity of cultures. The School's academic program is intentionally set within a community life based on the life and teaching of Jesus Christ and devoted to service in India and the whole human community.
Kodaikanal International School (KIS) celebrated 100 years of Christian international education in 2001.
KIS is located at 2133m in the peaceful Palani Hills of South India, a region known for its rugged beauty and cool temperate climate.
KIS combines an ambitious, challenging academic program and a rich range of extracurricular activities within a Christian values framework that draws on a variety of cultures and prepares students for global citizenship.
International Baccalaureate (IB) and American curricula are offered to around 600 students in Preschool through grades 1-12, vertically coordinated in Elementary, Middle and High School programs.
KIS graduates consistently achieve higher results than world averages in IB and SAT examinations. 100% of KIS students who apply gain entry to colleges and universities worldwide. KIS High School Diploma is US accredited and also allows KIS graduates direct entry to Indian universities.
KIS entry is open to all qualified students at all grade levels and full residential students are admitted from grade 3. KIS school year runs from mid-July to end-May and admissions are open throughout the year.
Facts of interest:
- Established in 1901 as an American residential school for the children of missionaries in South India
- Accredited in 1968 by the US Middle States Association of Colleges & Schools (Philadelphia)
- In 1976 KIS became the first IB school and first international school in India by adopting the International Baccalaureate Diploma program; the third school in Asia and one of only 10 schools worldwide to trial the IB Diploma program
- In 1981 the KIS High School Diploma was recognized by the Association of Indian Universities, Delhi and today allows KIS graduates direct entry to Indian universities
- In 1994 KIS became the first school in India to have its own separate campus for camping and outdoor initiatives
- In December 2006 KIS gained authorization from the IBO to offer the Middle Years Program to grades 6-10
- KIS is a candidate school for obtaining PYP authorization
- KIS is a non-denominational Christian school. Students and staff from over 30 countries share in a multicultural residential experience intentionally set within a community life based on the life and teachings of Jesus Christ and devoted to service in India and the rest of the world
- Today KIS is one of India's most prestigious independent academic schools